There’s never been a more enticing time to visit North Carolina’s peaceful, undeniably gorgeous Hatteras Island, the Outer Banks’ crown jewel. Hatteras Island is home to Shore Details, the region’s top property management company. A common question that we field here at Shore Details is, “what can my family do after dark?” Thus, in hopes of enhancing an already-sublime coastal escape to the Outer Banks, we’ve compiled 10 family night ideas to try during your upcoming stay.
Plan a Memorable Family Night with the Kids
Family nights differ greatly, depending on your crew’s size, budget, and elemental likes (and dislikes). Everyone can agree on oceanside fun and relaxation. But what about when the sun dips behind Pamlico Sound’s still waters? Regardless of the season, all of our homes feature modern amenities, such as flatscreen televisions, DVD players, Wi-Fi, and even game rooms (including billiards and foosball). So, there’s plenty of fuel for excitement and cheer at all times. But don’t be afraid to get creative if (or when) the family grows tired of technology. Without further ado, here are 10 family night ideas worth attempting with help from the whole gang.
- Splash underneath the starry, moonlit sky in a heated pool at the End of the Rainbow, one of Shore Details’ most lavish ocean-view homes.
- Stargaze as you strut the beach, relax on your private deck, or soak in your community pool.
- Play “Chopped” in your vacation rental, masterfully equipped with a chef’s kitchen. Pair each parent with a child (or two). Designate one swing person as the judge. Make sure to crown the victor with a special surprise!
- Spend the evening at Frisco Mini Golf & Go Karts. This well-lit complex is typically open daily until 11 p.m. during peak seasons.
- HWY 12 Amusements is the Outer Banks’ most dazzling arcade, complete with a bowling alley, climbing wall, mini-golf course, laser tag room, and countless arcade games.
- Treat the kiddos to a late-night ice cream cone at Uncle Eddy’s Frozen Custard or Hatteras Sno-Balls.
- Try ghost crab “hunting.” The kids will love it! Ghost crabs often meander the beach after dark and are perfectly harmless. Remember to bring flashlights. Please don’t harm them—think of it as a game of flashlight tag rather than a scavenger “hunt.”
- Visit the Cape Hatteras Light Station after dark. Watching it illuminate the night’s sky is enthralling, to say the least.
- Get your popcorn ready because it’s time for a themed movie night! Bring along your favorite DVDs for a Disney, Marvel, or Christmas-themed film extravaganza with plenty of laughs, shrieks, and boxes of movie theater candy.
- Host a hot tub party at your vacation rental, such as Sea Smoke, Ocean Dream, or Oh Say Can You See. Toss some squishy toys, squirt guns, and a bath bomb into the mix, as well as refreshments for the whole gang.
The Master Cancel Plan | Book with Peace of Mind
Shore Details recently enacted the “Master Cancel” plan to put everyone’s mind at ease, including the property owner and the renter. We’re one of only seven companies on the East Coast to offer this program, which provides instant peace of mind, something that will be vital in 2021 and beyond. Throughout the year, families utilize Hatteras Island as an escape—one that instantly washes away stress and ushers in feelings of jubilation. Now is the time to explore the Outer Banks before more people realize that this region is one of the most alluring beach destinations on the East Coast.
To book a long-awaited escape to Hatteras Island, please call us directly at 252-357-7121 (or receive a quote online). Do you have a Hatteras Island property that you’re looking to promote? Please read more about the Shore Details difference.
Top 6 Reasons to Travel to Hatteras Island in 2020 or 2021
Navigating the travel industry in 2020 has been a head-scratching, Rubik’s Cube-esque undertaking for many families. However, as the East Coast begins to solve the coronavirus puzzle, families finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. The inherent need to escape to a faraway beach destination never subsided. In fact, there has never been a more alluring time to visit North Carolina’s Hatteras Island than now. This spellbinding, 42-mile-long isle remains as paradisiacal as ever. Hatteras Island is hidden from civilization; satellite imagery can barely capture its lanky, sandy shape. Only shrewd travelers know about its undeniable allure, including its powdery beaches, ideal surf, oooh-inducing seafood, and, of course, opulent Hatteras Island vacation rentals, meticulously managed by the pros at Shore Details.
Reasons to Travel in Late 2020 or Early 2021
It’s hard to fathom why Americans need reasons to travel to a remote, idyllic haven off North Carolina’s coast. Still, studies prove that we collectively lose approximately 768 million vacation days every year. That’s all about to change, primarily because many offices are going entirely remote—say hello to the birth of the mega “workcation!” However, most travelers, especially those with eager kiddos, prefer to keep work responsibilities as far away from the beach as possible. To ensure that your next getaway to the open-sea Outer Banks is nothing short of flawless, we’ve compiled six unique reasons to travel in the next six-plus months.
1. The Semi-Isolation
It’s worth noting that, while the island is pleasingly remote, you’ll still have the opportunity to enjoy plenty of people-watching. But, right now, there’s a perfect balance between isolation and business. Safely social distancing is as natural as a heartwarming Atlantic Ocean sunrise, whether it’s at the beach, on a deep-sea fishing expedition, or at a local seafood shanty.
2. The Edible Coastal Delights
Speaking of seafood: There’s no shortage of juicy, coastal delicacies on Hatteras Island. You’ll always be a short drive or bicycle ride from a plate of fried calamari, seared tuna, crab cakes, or Cajun scallops. Just remember to allow extra time for a beach jog or a stint in a free, nearby fitness center. Three of our favorite local restaurants include Hatteras Sol, Rusty’s Surf & Turf, and Watermen’s Bar.
3. Live like Royalty
There’s a discernable level of sophistication here on the island, especially inside Shore Details’ finest Cape Hatteras rentals, ranging from a Salvo Ocean Dream to Avon’s Alls That and Kinnakeet Shores’ Virginia Dare. Sip cocktails beside your heavenly communal pool, soak in a private hot tub, indulge in gourmet cuisines crafted by a private chef, and share knee-slapping stories beside a cozy fireplace.
4. Inland and Aquatic Adventures
Yes, an entire day at the beach sounds like a dream come true. But there are dozens of ways to enhance your experience, including surfing lessons, oceanfront horseback riding, bicycling near the sea, and some good, old-fashioned 4×4 beach cruising. The sandy, wind-swept Cape Hatteras National Seashore is also an excellent locale for exercise, including hiking, yoga, birdwatching, and beachcombing.
5. Discounts Galore!
Shore Details isn’t shy its various purse-pleasing deals and discounts that are readily available. Discounts are accessible to military members, first responders, repeat renters, and, well, everyone! Because our vacation specialists are currently taking 10 percent off extended stays throughout the fall. We also recently enacted the “Create Your Own Layaway Plan,” ensuring flexibility for those who need it most.
6. An Award-Winning Beach Destination
The Outer Banks is no stranger to accolades. In fact, Forbes pointed out that it’s the “most resilient travel destination” of 2020, calling it the top dreamed-about destination in the U.S. Dr. Beach, meanwhile, recently ranked two Outer Banks beaches as the best in America, including Ocracoke (#2) and Buxton (#5, that’s us!).
We cannot wait to see all of your smiling faces this year (or next) here on sunny Hatteras Island. To learn more about our various amenities, pet-friendly rentals, and vacation services, please visit us online at ShoreDetails.com (or call us directly at 252-357-7121). We’re reinventing property management—so, why not join us?