Yes, you can. You will need to first obtain an Off-Road Vehicle Permit The online permit process is as simple as
- Watching the ORV Safety Video to learn best practices for safe and enjoyable beach driving.
- Going to the Cape Hatteras ORV Permit page on Recreation.gov,
- Filling out the online application, and
- Print the permit and proof-of-permit and place them in your vehicle (Annual proof-of-permit stickers will be mailed, but the printed proof-of-permit is good for 30 days). If you cannot print the proof-of-permit, you can pick up a self-certification card from outside our visitor centers or at many local tackle shops. On the self-certification card, simply write in the information from your permit, sign the card, and place on your dashboard.
Two types of permits are available for purchase.
- a 10-day Permit ($50, valid for 10 consecutive days),
- or an Annual Permit ($120, valid for one year from date of purchase).
Remember to keep the permit in the permitted vehicle and the proof-of-permit sticker clearly visible on your windshield.