North Carolina’s Outer Banks offer plenty of things to do during spring’s inevitable arrival, including relaxing beach days, wildlife adventures, and even exciting nightlife options. The beach provides plenty of cost-effective activities that the entire family will enjoy. Adventure enthusiasts can also try various water sports, horseback riding, and even hang gliding. Let us explore some of the most popular things to do in the Outer Banks together.
1. Relax on the Beaches
One of the most popular things to do in the Outer Banks is to relax on the beach. The best part about this destination is the 100 miles of beaches that stretch along the barrier islands. There are many different beaches, and all of them are clean and family-friendly. If you are interested in water sports, check out our 4×4 rentals for an exciting day driving along the sandy shoreline. There are also some dog-friendly beaches here, so don’t leave your pet at home!
2. Pea Island Wildlife Refuge
The Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge spans many acres of land, making it one of the most impressive natural areas in the state. There is a wide variety of wildlife here, including over 400 bird species, white-tailed deer, and red wolves. Visitors can indulge in hiking, fishing, and kayaking.
3. Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
For over a century Cape Hatteras Lighthouse has protected ships from one of the most hazardous sections of the Outer Banks Atlantic Coast. This stunning structure has endured several renovations over the past several decades, proudly donning its trademark white and black stripes. Visit this coastal landmark to learn more about its fascinating history. Don’t forget to pack a camera so that you can take several photos of the spectacular view from the top of this lighthouse.
Now that we have had a look at some of the best things to do in the Outer Banks, you can look for a place to stay. For a family vacation to Outer Banks, look no further than Shore Details. We have beautiful vacation homes throughout the region, including Avon, Frisco, and Buxton. Just one look at these spectacular homes and it will take your breath away. To book, please check availability online.
The multi-talented team at Shore Details is proud to present some of our favorite Hatteras Island recipes, all of which are utterly delicious and totally Carolinian. Each of our luxurious, meticulously-maintained Hatteras Island vacation rentals features a spacious, fully-equipped kitchen, complete with all necessary utensils, dishware, and appliances. Some of our finest kitchens can be found inside Ocean Dream, Sea Smoke, and End of the Rainbow.
There’s nothing quite like devouring a plate of Southern cookin’ on a private deck that overlooks the vast Atlantic Ocean, especially when it’s classic seafood fare, such as crab cakes, tuna steaks, and shrimp kabobs. Seven members of our staff have hand-selected their favorite North Carolina recipes. Please share your creations with us on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook. Bon appétit!
Hatteras-Style Crab Cakes
- 16 ounces of lump or backfin crab meat
- 3 slices of bread (crust removed and crumbled)
- 2 eggs
- 1 TSP Worcestershire sauce
- 1–2 TSP Old Bay Seasoning
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
- 1 TSP prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup real mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fresh, finely-minced parsley
- 1/3 cup finely-minced onion
- Combine the eggs, Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay seasoning, Tabasco sauce, mustard, mayonnaise, parsley, and onion in a bowl. Mix to combine well.
- Gently fold in the crab meat. Mix by hand, trying to keep as many of the lumps of crab meat together. Form into 4–6 crab cakes and place on wax paper.
- Broil crab cakes for 5–6 minutes per side.
- Patties can be fried, sauteed, or broiled.
– Jennifer Paddock
- Whole lemon (or more—just be sure there is enough marinade to cover shrimp)
- Lemon wedges
- In a large plastic baggy, combine lemon juice, garlic-flavored olive oil, sea salt, pepper, and fresh Italian seasoning.
- Large shrimp (about a half-pound per person)
- Marinate large, deveined shrimp for no more than 20 minutes. Otherwise, the acidity will start to make the shrimp mushy.
- Skewer and place on a hot grill.
- Watch carefully and cook for only 2–3 minutes on each side until pink and opaque.
- Top with parsley and lemon wedges.
- Serve with corn on the cob and your favorite avocado summer salad.
– Pam & Rene Stoffel
Shrimp and Sea Scallops in Baking Shells
- Use thick clamshells.
- Devein shrimp. Place in a bowl with lemon, chili powder, and fresh garlic (or Old Bay Seasoning).
- Add scallops to shrimp. Stir around to coat and let sit while you prepare the clamshells.
- Partially cook enough bacon to place 1 piece in each clamshell.
- Place clamshells on a sturdy baking sheet.
- Place 1 scallop and 2 shrimp (if they fit) in a baking shell.
- Weave 1 strip of bacon between scallop and shrimp.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of chili powder.
- Grate Asiago cheese over all baking shells and drizzle with butter.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven until the juice runs clear. Approximately 7 minutes.
- Baking shells are oven and dishwasher safe.
- They stay hot longer than ceramic and wash up great in the dishwasher.
– Sherry Smith
- Small red potatoes
- Fresh ears of corn
- Kielbasa or andouille sausage
- Fresh local scallops
- King crab legs
- Fresh local shrimp
- Begin with the biggest pot you can find and fill it with water.
- Add to pot: small red potatoes, corn on the cob, and sausage of your choice
- Let this cook until your potatoes, corn, and sausage are halfway cooked.
- Add your king crab legs, scallops, and, finally, your fresh local shrimp.
- Season with Old Bay Seasoning and voilà!
- As a side note: Our friends and family especially enjoy our boil cooked over an open fire.
– Erica Stephens
- 2 drum fillets, diced into 2-inch cubes
- A dozen or more red (or yellow) potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound of bacon cut into 1/4-inch cubes or (fatback)
- 1/2 stick of butter (more butter, the better)
- Sea salt
- In a large pot, boil 2 quarts of water and add the potatoes with salt and butter.
- Boil for 8 minutes (or until soft).
- When they’re done, remove the potatoes from the boiling water with a slotted spoon.
- You’ll need the boiling water for the fish.
- In the meantime, fry the bacon in a large skillet until crispy.
- Once crispy, drain the bacon and reserve the grease for later use.
- Sauté the onions in the same pan that you used for the bacon.
- Add the fish to the boiling water and cook for about 6 minutes, just until white and flaky. Try not to overcook. Drain.
- To serve, on each plate, lightly mash 2 to 3 potatoes with a fork.
- Add three to four cubes of fish and lightly mash into the potatoes.
- Top with a sprinkling of onions and bacon. Drizzle with a tablespoon of hot bacon grease. Add salt and pepper.
– Ericka Meekins
Seared Tuna Steaks
- Two yellowfin tuna steaks (4 ounces)
- 2 TBSP soy sauce
- 1 TBSP toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 TSP kosher salt
- 1/4 TSP black pepper
- 1/4 TSP olive oil
- Sear each side for two minutes in a hot cast-iron skillet—they will be pink inside.
– Kim Peele
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 TSP baking powder
- 1/2 TSP salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup 2 percent milk
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Oil for frying
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk the egg, milk, and onion.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients until combined.
- In a cast-iron skillet (or dutch oven, frying pan, or electric skillet), heat oil to 365 degrees.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into the oil.
- Fry until golden brown, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels. Serve warm.
– Beth Henson
Hatteras Island is no longer a secret destination for romance-craved couples in need of a healthy dose of relaxation, intimacy, and seduction, thanks to Nicholas Sparks’ beloved 2002 novel, Nights in Rodanthe. Six years later, Richard Gere and Diane Lane effectively pulled at our heartstrings in the film adaptation, mostly shot here on sunny Hatteras Island. Ever since, sweethearts cannot resist the allure of this peaceful, remote, and undeniably beautiful isle. With the “Month of Love” only days away, we couldn’t think of a better excuse to embark on a well-deserved romantic escape to the Outer Banks, a remote island paradise.
Whether you’re celebrating an anniversary, a honeymoon, or Valentine’s Day, you’ll both quickly fall in love with Hatteras Island’s idyllic blend of offerings, including its natural beauty, invigorating mid-day pursuits, and oceanfront vacation homes, managed flawlessly by Shore Details. After all, a fairy-tale getaway is a perfect way to say, “I love you.”
Exciting, Tantalizing Island Adventures
There’s never an off-season for romance in the Outer Banks, primarily because Hatteras Island boasts approximately 50 miles of sandy beaches. Greet each day with an Atlantic Ocean sunrise, where the horizon transforms into a kaleidoscope of color, including vibrant hues of amber, canary yellow, mauve, and baby blue (especially when a few clouds momentarily capture the color combinations).
During the daytime, couples typically stroll the beach in search of seashells and sea glass before or after a picnic, an hour of kite flying, and a light beach jog. In the afternoon, climb aboard a majestic steed and gallop along the Atlantic’s sandy shoreline on a guided excursion led by Equine Adventures. Enjoy a flight of craft beer at 1718 Brewing, relish a couple’s massage at In Touch, explore the lush terrain near the Cape Hatteras Light Station, walk through Buxton Woods, and observe thought-provoking local art at Pea Island, Sandcastles, and Sweet Art. Don’t forget to visit Hatteras Landing at dusk to watch a genuinely awe-inspiring Pamlico Sound sunset.
Hatteras Island Vacation Rentals: Waterfront Romance
Shore Details manages the area’s finest selection of waterfront rentals on Hatteras Island, ranging from Daddy Mac’s Beach Shack to End of the Line and The Crab Shack. Most vacation rentals feature ocean (or sound) views, private pools, outdoor hot tubs, spacious decks, full kitchens, distinctive decor, flat-screen televisions, and instant beach access. Homes, cottages, and condos include discounts on 4×4 rentals, the best way to explore the island! Shore Details also has the region’s premier private chef, Nicole Oden, on-call. Let Oden craft a masterful gourmet meal while you bask on your private deck with a glass of wine in hand.
To book a well-deserved romantic getaway to the Outer Banks, please call us directly at 252-357-7121 (or check availability online).
There’s never been a more enticing time to visit North Carolina’s peaceful, undeniably gorgeous Hatteras Island, the Outer Banks’ crown jewel. Hatteras Island is home to Shore Details, the region’s top property management company. A common question that we field here at Shore Details is, “what can my family do after dark?” Thus, in hopes of enhancing an already-sublime coastal escape to the Outer Banks, we’ve compiled 10 family night ideas to try during your upcoming stay.
Plan a Memorable Family Night with the Kids
Family nights differ greatly, depending on your crew’s size, budget, and elemental likes (and dislikes). Everyone can agree on oceanside fun and relaxation. But what about when the sun dips behind Pamlico Sound’s still waters? Regardless of the season, all of our homes feature modern amenities, such as flatscreen televisions, DVD players, Wi-Fi, and even game rooms (including billiards and foosball). So, there’s plenty of fuel for excitement and cheer at all times. But don’t be afraid to get creative if (or when) the family grows tired of technology. Without further ado, here are 10 family night ideas worth attempting with help from the whole gang.
- Splash underneath the starry, moonlit sky in a heated pool at the End of the Rainbow, one of Shore Details’ most lavish ocean-view homes.
- Stargaze as you strut the beach, relax on your private deck, or soak in your community pool.
- Play “Chopped” in your vacation rental, masterfully equipped with a chef’s kitchen. Pair each parent with a child (or two). Designate one swing person as the judge. Make sure to crown the victor with a special surprise!
- Spend the evening at Frisco Mini Golf & Go Karts. This well-lit complex is typically open daily until 11 p.m. during peak seasons.
- HWY 12 Amusements is the Outer Banks’ most dazzling arcade, complete with a bowling alley, climbing wall, mini-golf course, laser tag room, and countless arcade games.
- Treat the kiddos to a late-night ice cream cone at Uncle Eddy’s Frozen Custard or Hatteras Sno-Balls.
- Try ghost crab “hunting.” The kids will love it! Ghost crabs often meander the beach after dark and are perfectly harmless. Remember to bring flashlights. Please don’t harm them—think of it as a game of flashlight tag rather than a scavenger “hunt.”
- Visit the Cape Hatteras Light Station after dark. Watching it illuminate the night’s sky is enthralling, to say the least.
- Get your popcorn ready because it’s time for a themed movie night! Bring along your favorite DVDs for a Disney, Marvel, or Christmas-themed film extravaganza with plenty of laughs, shrieks, and boxes of movie theater candy.
- Host a hot tub party at your vacation rental, such as Sea Smoke, Ocean Dream, or Oh Say Can You See. Toss some squishy toys, squirt guns, and a bath bomb into the mix, as well as refreshments for the whole gang.
The Master Cancel Plan | Book with Peace of Mind
Shore Details recently enacted the “Master Cancel” plan to put everyone’s mind at ease, including the property owner and the renter. We’re one of only seven companies on the East Coast to offer this program, which provides instant peace of mind, something that will be vital in 2021 and beyond. Throughout the year, families utilize Hatteras Island as an escape—one that instantly washes away stress and ushers in feelings of jubilation. Now is the time to explore the Outer Banks before more people realize that this region is one of the most alluring beach destinations on the East Coast.
To book a long-awaited escape to Hatteras Island, please call us directly at 252-357-7121 (or receive a quote online). Do you have a Hatteras Island property that you’re looking to promote? Please read more about the Shore Details difference.
15 Benefits of Booking a Vacation Rental vs. a Hotel
We’ve all been there. You just spent a mini fortune on a less-than-desirable hotel that promised the world but failed to meet expectations. The hotel room felt cramped. There weren’t enough on-site amenities to go around. The beach was packed to the brim with tourists. And, in reality, you felt more like a number rather than an actual real-life guest with needs, desires, and pre-vacation assumptions. Thankfully, an alternative exists in the form of a unique, well-managed vacation rental.
Vacation Rental vs. Hotel: Game. Set. Match.
Eons of time and effort go into staging, managing, enhancing, maintaining, and cleaning a vacation rental. It’s genuinely an honor and a privilege to welcome each slew of new, eager guests into our homes, day after day, week after week, and month after month. Here at Shore Details, you’re treated like family, not a number. We go above and beyond in every facet of the lodging experience. In hopes of providing a little extra insight into the many benefits of a vacation rental vs. a hotel room, we’ve compiled 15 reasons to reconsider your vacation habits this winter. Enjoy!
- Get more bang for your buck. There’s no denying the allure of extra square footage. And vacation rentals are also cost-effective!
- Use that fully-equipped kitchen to your advantage. Save money on expensive dinners and spur-of-the-moment lunches. Plus, cooking is more fun anyway! Or, ahem, enlist the help of a local private chef.
- Vacation rentals are much safer during the times of COVID-19, especially in terms of social distancing and enhanced safety measures.
- Each vacation rental is personalized, ranging from the unit’s distinct theme to local artworks and unique furnishings.
- Rent something that feels like home, not a jail cell (only half kidding). Relish all of the comforts of home during your getaway, such as spacious bathrooms, modern technology, and security.
- While hotels flaunt stale continental breakfast and not-so-speedy Wi-Fi, many vacation rentals come equipped with a bevy of tangible amenities, including bicycles, beach gear, board games, and personalized services.
- Revel in all of that private acreage. Many vacation rentals feature yards to go along with specious parking lots and private beach access.
- There’s no need to buy multiple hotel rooms or split up a group because there’s bound to be a vacation that fits the whole gang!
- No more missing breakfast or worrying about pesky housekeepers rapping on your door in the morning. Sleep in—it’s a vacation after all!
- Property management agencies, such as Shore Details, offer personalized customer service that hotels simply cannot match. We go above and beyond for each renter and rentee as our sparkling reputation is on the line. Because it’s our job to make the owner AND the renter happy, we don’t miss a single detail.
- While on-site laundry may seem like a rather unsexy benefit to some, many groups and large families depend on it, especially when vacationing for weeks at a time.
- Yes, we just touched on personalized customer service. But it’s worth reiterating that each stay includes a concierge who knows the home just as well as the area itself. They’re always standing by, whether you need more towels, dinner recommendations, or help to book a tour.
- Let’s be honest, 99 percent of hotels simply cannot match those spacious family rooms, often equipped with extra-large televisions, fireplaces, ultra-comfortable couches, and walk-out decks.
- It’s hard to put a monetary value on privacy. But it sure feels nice to have nearly a dozen private spaces, such as decks, balconies, pool areas, garages, and beach trails.
- Who doesn’t love variety? Getting to sift through dozens upon dozens of vacation rentals is mildly enthralling, especially when you stumble upon one that meets ALL of your needs, such as location, size, and look. It’s kind of like house hunting!
Hatteras Island Rentals: Welcome to the Outer Banks
As a reminder: The vacation rental pros at Shore Details are readily available to walk you through the booking process, including selecting an exemplary oceanside home in North Carolina’s heavenly Outer Banks. We boast a fleet of Hatteras Island vacation rentals in Avon, Buxton, Frisco, and beyond, many of which are pet-friendly! It comes with great pleasure to announce an entirely new batch of 2021 rentals, ranging from some Sea Smoke to an idyllic Buxton channel house. The Outer Banks is the number one destination that “Americans are dreaming about” right now, so please inquire about a potential getaway at your earliest convenience. Get a quote online or call us directly at 252-357-7121.
Top 6 Reasons to Travel to Hatteras Island in 2020 or 2021
Navigating the travel industry in 2020 has been a head-scratching, Rubik’s Cube-esque undertaking for many families. However, as the East Coast begins to solve the coronavirus puzzle, families finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. The inherent need to escape to a faraway beach destination never subsided. In fact, there has never been a more alluring time to visit North Carolina’s Hatteras Island than now. This spellbinding, 42-mile-long isle remains as paradisical as ever. Hatteras Island is hidden from civilization; satellite imagery can barely capture its lanky, sandy shape. Only shrewd travelers know about its undeniable allure, including its powdery beaches, ideal surf, oooh-inducing seafood, and, of course, opulent Hatteras Island vacation rentals, meticulously managed by the pros at Shore Details.
Reasons to Travel in Late 2020 or Early 2021
It’s hard to fathom why Americans need reasons to travel to a remote, idyllic haven off North Carolina’s coast. Still, studies prove that we collectively lose approximately 768 million vacation days every year. That’s all about to change, primarily because many offices are going entirely remote—say hello to the birth of the mega “workcation!” However, most travelers, especially those with eager kiddos, prefer to keep work responsibilities as far away from the beach as possible. To ensure that your next getaway to the open-sea Outer Banks is nothing short of flawless, we’ve compiled six unique reasons to travel in the next six-plus months.
1. The Semi-Isolation
It’s worth noting that, while the island is pleasingly remote, you’ll still have the opportunity to enjoy plenty of people-watching. But, right now, there’s a perfect balance between isolation and business. Safely social distancing is as natural as a heartwarming Atlantic Ocean sunrise, whether it’s at the beach, on a deep-sea fishing expedition, or at a local seafood shanty.
2. The Edible Coastal Delights
Speaking of seafood: There’s no shortage of juicy, coastal delicacies on Hatteras Island. You’ll always be a short drive or bicycle ride from a plate of fried calamari, seared tuna, crab cakes, or Cajun scallops. Just remember to allot extra time for a beach jog or a stint in a free, nearby fitness center. Three of our favorite local restaurants include Hatteras Sol, Rusty’s Surf & Turf, and Watermen’s Bar.
3. Live like Royalty
There’s a discernable level of sophistication here on the island, especially inside Shore Details’ finest Cape Hatteras rentals, ranging from a Salvo Ocean Dream to Avon’s Alls That and Kinnakeet Shores’ Virginia Dare. Sip cocktails beside your heavenly communal pool, soak in a private hot tub, indulge in gourmet cuisines crafted by a private chef, and share knee-slapping stories beside a cozy fireplace.
4. Inland and Aquatic Adventures
Yes, an entire day at the beach sounds like a dream come true. But there are dozens of ways to enhance your experience, including surfing lessons, oceanfront horseback riding, bicycling near the sea, and some good, old-fashioned 4×4 beach cruising. The sandy, wind-swept Cape Hatteras National Seashore is also an excellent locale for exercise, including hiking, yoga, birdwatching, and beachcombing.
5. Discounts Galore!
Shore Details isn’t shy its various purse-pleasing deals and discounts that are readily available. Discounts are accessible to military members, first responders, repeat renters, and, well, everyone! Because our vacation specialists are currently taking 10 percent off extended stays throughout the fall. We also recently enacted the “Create Your Own Layaway Plan,” ensuring flexibility for those who need it most.
6. An Award-Winning Beach Destination
The Outer Banks is no stranger to accolades. In fact, Forbes pointed out that it’s the “most resilient travel destination” of 2020, calling it the top dreamed-about destination in the U.S. Dr. Beach, meanwhile, recently ranked two Outer Banks beaches as the best in America, including Ocracoke (#2) and Buxton (#5, that’s us!).
We cannot wait to see all of your smiling faces this year (or next) here on sunny Hatteras Island. To learn more about our various amenities, pet-friendly rentals, and vacation services, please visit us online at ShoreDetails.com (or call us directly at 252-357-7121). We’re reinventing property management—so, why not join us?
Endless Groundswell: The Best Surf on Hatteras Island
The secret is out. North Carolina’s paradisical Hatteras Island is home to some of the cleanest waves on the East Coast, mainly a seven-mile stretch of sand between Avon and the picturesque Cape Hatteras Light Station. Surfers of all ages and skill levels can conquer these waves, depending on the tides. Wholly understanding the Atlantic Ocean’s tides is your group’s best bet to find a party wave. The only thing more exhilarating than dropping into a fierce wave is knowing that your luxurious, oceanfront Hatteras Island vacation rental awaits your return.
A Cape Hatteras Surf Guide
While the team here at Shore Details doesn’t pretend to know everything about the world of surfing, several members of our team have spent ample time carving through the eastern shoreline. And we also have a strong relationship with the guys and gals at the Natural Art Surf Shop, your one-stop-shop for everything wave-related, particularly if you need a board, gear, or a Hatteras Island surf report. Before charging ahead into the three most popular surf locations in North Carolina, let’s take a moment to reflect on the island’s coastal beauty. Much of this land is preserved, so wildlife continues to thrive. There’s also less square mileage than most nearby beach destinations, meaning fewer tourists and more space for surfing. And the “dawn patrol” won’t find a more heartwarming place to welcome a glorious sunrise.
Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
The Cape Hatteras National Seashore is home to three distinct surfing locales, namely the acreage near the first old lighthouse jetty. There’s a small parking lot within steps of the beach with plenty of spaces. Surfers, bodyboarders, and sunbathers alike frequent this semi-blustery haven. During high tide, waves often reach approximately five feet. Observing the lineup of surfers sit patiently in the takeoff zone is always a sight to behold.
Hatteras Island has approximately 50 miles of pristine, sandy coastline. Thus, there’s truly no limit to the number of surf spots in the area. However, you’ll often witness droves of beachgoers gathering near the first turn out in Buxton. Please keep in mind that this area is mostly residential, so parking is limited. Simply find an open spot, and follow the people (or the sounds of the sea).
Similarly-sized waves form at Avon Pier, about six miles north of Buxton. Because this popular fishing pier is within steps of Highway 12, it sees a lot of foot traffic. But the atmosphere is second to none. There’s just something uplifting about a beach that’s buzzing with energy from surfers, bodyboarders, anglers, and families of sunbathers. Avon Pier is also close to a few restaurants, which is an added perk.
Vacation Rentals in Buxton, Hatteras, and Frisco
The perfect place to start and finish each day of fishing, surfing, and bicycling is inside one of Shore Details’ finest Hatteras vacation rentals, such as the pet-friendly Dolphin’s Reach or Ocean Dream (as pictured). Luckily travelers will instantly fall in love with the island’s nautical charm and natural beauty, which blends flawlessly with many of our on-site amenities, such as private pools, instant beach access, covered decks, and complimentary bicycles. To learn more about our North Carolinian slice of paradise, please visit ShoreDetails.com. Whether you’re hoping to rent a secluded Hatteras beach house or a three-story home in the heart of Avon, you’ll quickly find a rental that suits your group’s size, style, and budget. We hope that you’re as amped as we are for fall—“the best time for surfing” on Hatteras Island!
If art is something you love, or even if it’s not, there are some beautiful and unique art galleries in the Outer Banks that you should check out on your next vacation. It can make for an enjoyable afternoon, whether you just want to admire artists’ creations, or if you’re looking for something to bring back home for you or a loved one. The art galleries in the Outer Banks are one-of-a-kind – you don’t want to miss out!
The Top Art Galleries in the Outer Banks
There are several art galleries that you can browse through, but to make it easier, we’ve narrowed it down to the top two art galleries in the Outer Banks that you have to visit. Read below to learn more about the top two art galleries in the area, that are all within driving distance of Shore Details
Find art from over 100 local artists at this beautiful gallery. These artists have different areas of expertise, so you’ll be able to find an array of different types of art – hand-made pottery, glass, jewelry, photography, mixed-media, wood, fiber, sculpture, garden art, original paintings, and reproductions, as well as etchings and hand-pulled original prints. With this variety, you’ll surely find something you’ll want to take home!
Angel Fritz’s paintings are loved by everyone who walks into her gallery. All of her pieces are a reflection of her path in life – you’ll find pieces of her journey through each of her different pieces. Guided by her own muse and spirit, she lets joy lead the way in her paintings. With this mentality of hers, it’s easy to see why her paintings are extremely unique from any other artist that you may encounter. Head to Angel Fritz Gallery to find true hand-crafted paintings.
Hatteras Island Rentals: Shore Details
Find the perfect vacation home when you stay at Shore Details. We have luxurious rentals for groups of all sizes, no matter the occasion. Not only are we committed to keeping our rentals beautiful and up to date, but we are also committed to the cleanliness of each rental to make sure that all of our guests stay safe. Enjoy beautiful views of the beach, your morning coffee on the porch, and spending time with friends and family in one of our luxury rentals. To reserve your home away from home, call us at 252-357-7121.
We have always been extremely proud of our cleanliness and safety protocols. Cleanliness has always been a vital part of our day to day operations and to help reduce the spread of COVID-19, we are adding to our already enhanced cleaning standards.
Our Shore Details team will be taking extra precautions to properly disinfect our vacation rentals to make sure that our owners and our guests feel safe and comfortable when checking into their home.
What to expect when you arrive? Expect our homes will be clean, sanitized, safe and that we are adhering to CDC regulations. Here is our protocol for each department.
- Housekeepers wear masks and disposable gloves when cleaning and disinfecting items and surfaces. Gloves will be discarded after each cleaning and cleaners will wash hands immediately in warm soapy water for 20 seconds after gloves are removed.
- We use EPA-registered hospital grade disinfectants that provide CDC recommended antimicrobial chemicals – We provide all housekeepers with these chemicals.
- Housekeepers will be focusing additional attention on high-touch surfaces, including but not limited to: doorknobs, elevator buttons, keyless entry pad, TV remotes, light switches, stair handrails, cabinet drawer pulls, appliance handles such as fridge, microwave, & oven, laundry machines, washer/dryer knobs, and thermostats. All hard surfaces, kitchens, and bathrooms will be thoroughly sanitized
Housekeeper will use disposable cloths, sponges and mop heads for each home. Vacuum cleaners will remain in the house and will be emptied after each use.
- All windows and slider doors will be open while cleaning and left open to remove and disperse the droplets and reduce the amount of virus in the air – which will reduce the risk of infection for others.
- Beds will be made with freshly laundered sheets and pillowcases. Pillows, mattress pads, and comforters will be misted with sanitizing product.
- Supervisors will follow cleaners with a spray to ensure all surfaces have been correctly sanitized.
- We will have no more than two cleaners in a home and family members only.
- All bed linen, pillowcases, towels, and etc. are laundered at our facility in commercial washers and dryers at high temperature to help kill coronavirus. No personal dish towels and oven mitts will be left at the property. Dish towels will be provided by Shore Details.
- All Laundry staff wear masks and disposable gloves when cleaning and disinfecting items or surfaces. Gloves will be discarded after each handling of a load and the laundry attendant will wash hands immediately in warm soapy water for 20 seconds after gloves are removed.
- While transferring items from the bin to the washer, our team has been trained not to shake the laundry, which could disperse the virus through the air, according to the CDC.
- Sanitizer is also used between each folding task to keep all surfaces clean.
- After the dirty laundry in placed the washer, our staff disinfects the surfaces in the laundry area such as the knobs and the door pull on the washing machine and dryer.
- Laundry bins that hold dirty and clean laundry are kept separated and washed between uses with bleach or other EPA – registered disinfectants.
- Once linens are bagged by laundry staff, it is placed on the porch for pick up at a certain time and cleaners will pick up bags and all supplies one at a time.
- Housekeepers will return the laundry bag at the end of the day and it will be washed and ready for the next turn day.
Maintenance and Pool/Spa Protocol:
- All maintenance and pool/spa technicians are driving separately.
- If we have calls that need attention while guests are in the homes, we will schedule a time to take care of the task while they are out.
- Techs wear masks and disposable gloves when cleaning and disinfecting items and surfaces. Gloves will be discarded after each cleaning and cleaners will wash hands immediately in warm soapy water for 20 seconds after gloves are removed.
- Vehicles are sanitized daily
- Staff will always maintain 6 ft distance for everyone’s safety.
During these difficult days…we are here for you! We want our guests to know that we are doing everything we can to welcome them back to a safe and clean vacation home!
Keep watching our Facebook page and website for more information and regular updates from our county and our state regarding opening plans.
When you visit Hatteras Island, you’ll want to spend time on the beaches. With the Outer Banks just a short drive away, and staying at Shore Details on the coast, there’s no shortage of sand and water. If you’re wanting to do something unique on your vacation, look into horseback riding on Hatteras Island or the Outer Banks on the beach. Riding horseback can be delightful and invigorating, but it will surely be something you’ll remember forever.
Where to Go to Horseback Ride on Hatteras Island and the Outer Banks
If you’re interested in horseback riding on Hatteras Island or the Outer Banks, read below to find the best places to take you on this adventure.
On a guided horseback ride through Equine Adventures, you’ll travel on the beach to explore the habitat of the Carolina coast. Ride through the Maritime forest of Frisco, and see beautiful views of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. The guides will go at any pace you’re comfortable with, from a leisurely stroll to a brisk canter. Morning and afternoon rides are available, and all riders must be 10 years or older. For more information or to book, visit the Equine Adventures website.
Lighthouse Horse Rides can accompany both small and large groups, so no matter the occasion they’ll always have your back. Lighthouse horse rides will take you on a guided tour to explore the beauty of the Outer Banks right on the beach! Rides typically last an hour, but if you’d like to ride for longer, they’re more than happy to continue. To make a reservation, call or text Lighthouse Horse Rides at 252-296-2929.
Hatteras Island Horseback Riding has a phenomenal family and group package – pay for two riders, and all others ride for free! For only $190, your group can enjoy a beautiful two-hour horseback ride on the beaches in Hatteras Island. You’ll love all of the picturesque views and the plenty of places that make a great photo-op. To make your group’s reservation, book online, or call 252-216-9191.
Shore Details: The Best Hatteras Island Vacation Rentals
At Shore Details, you’ll find the rental of your dreams. Wake up to beautiful views of the sandy beaches with your morning cup of coffee, and come back to relax after your horseback riding adventure. Each of our spacious rentals is perfect for your group, no matter how small or large. Come see what we are all about, and book your vacation rental cottage today.